Flying Embers was founded in Ojai, California by a team of entrepreneurs, winemakers, musicians and surfers driven to create the best tasting, highest quality and most innovative organic alcohol drinks in the world. Flying Embers got its name when they banded together during the Thomas Fires to protect everything they had been working to build. The experience gave them the name and their drive towards a purpose beyond the brews. They established the Embers Foundation to support firefighters and first responders with 1% of all sales going directly towards Rewild, Respond and Recover efforts. We take intense pride in pushing the limits of innovation in our brewing and in building our biz. Today, Flying Embers is a national brand with strong local roots in Ventura, California.
Our team is currently looking for a skilled and motivated Plant Manager to support our Director of Plant Operations and VP of Operations in overseeing production at our Ventura, CA facility. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a role within a fast-paced environment. The position will be based out of our Ventura, CA headquarters.
Who We Are:
Flying Embers is an innovative fermented beverage company. We specialize in USDA Organic hard kombucha, canned cocktails, and hard seltzers. Our beverages are a better-for-you option, built for the modern drinker. The brand was launched during the 2017 Thomas Fires. This inspired our name and our values. Today, Flying Embers donates a portion of all sales to firefighters, first responders, and the communities that they serve through their nonprofit organization, the Embers Foundation.
The Plant Manager will oversee the day-to-day manufacturing operations and work on strategic planning projects at our brewery and warehouse. The role provides leadership for specific shifts and oversight of Brewing, Packaging, Quality and Sanitation teams and Safety.
Plant Manager Job Description
This position is responsible for ensuring product quality, manufacturing efficiencies, safety and sanitation, as well as ensuring that the brewery meets production goals and standards while managing manufacturing costs. The above noted duties are not intended to describe every task that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the duties of this position.
· Leadership and oversight of the entire Operations team on shift in the manufacturing spaces.
· Acts as the central point of contact for all operations team members for the coordination and execution of the production schedule and related activities during the assigned shift.
· Leads shift change activities and provides real-time and after-action reporting of shift performance to Operations Leadership.
· Acts as the duty expert technical resource for the shift for troubleshooting and coordinating changes and recovery efforts.
· Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of long-term and short-term planning objectives and goals for the operations group. Works to implement goals and meet objectives.
· Supports and audits the brewery operations to ensure that procedures and best practice protocols are being upheld and are aligned with company quality, sanitation and safety standards.
· Supports the hiring, training and development of brewery personnel to maximize employee safety and productivity and product quality.
· Foster a culture of high performance and accountability, prioritized by Safety, Quality, Cost, and Production considerations, in that order.
· Provides coaching, mentoring, and development to team members, as applicable.
· Schedules labor and approves payroll, as assigned.
· Perform other related duties as assigned and/or required.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering, Operations Management, Business, or Manufacturing Technology or related field from an accredited university, AND
· Eight (8) to ten (10) or more years of experience, with at least three (3) years as a supervisor or manager in a brewery, winery, or beverage manufacturing department, with multiple shifts, with a preference for alcoholic beverage fermentation and manufacturing, OR
· Thirteen (8) to (15) years of experience working in a brewery, winery, or beverage manufacturing facility with at least four (4) years working as a supervisor or manager in a packaging or bottling department or maintenance department with demonstrated increase of responsibility and scope.
· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred, but not required.
· Proven ability to prioritize.
· Proven ability to effectively manage, train and coach staff.
The following requirements are conditions of employment. Applicants must have the ability and willingness to meet these requirements at the time of employment application filing and maintain these requirements throughout employment.
· Ability to commute to the Ventura Headquarters daily
· Adapt to changes in brewing, packaging and production schedules and work various schedules, which may also include swing or night shifts, weekends, holidays, and/or overtime as operations dictate.
· Safely work around and communicate in a hot, cold, wet, damp and loud production environment for extended periods of time
· Safely handle and work around chemicals, gasses and hot liquids
· Work around moving machinery and mechanical devices.
· Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and policies throughout the brewery.
· Work in high places and confined spaces
· Continuously lift to shoulder height and carry up to 55 lbs. with or without assistive devices and push or pull up to 200 lbs.
· While unassisted: bend, sit, kneel and squat, balance, twist and turn, reach over one’s shoulders, walk and stand continuously for extended periods of time over uneven surfaces; walk up and down stairs: ascend and descend ladders.
· Maintain punctuality and predictable attendance and eagerness to manage time and resources, get the job done safely and correctly, support coworkers and develop professionally.
· Comprehensive health and wellness coverage
· Flexible working environment
· Flexible Spending Account Benefits
· Generous and flexible vacation policy
· Pet Insurance for your furry kids
· Free personal development therapy (EAP)
· Free Flying Embers beverages
· Company branded swag.
· Brand partnership discounts with other local purpose driven companies
· Happy hours, team building, company-sponsored events and festivals
· Casual/Creative Office Environment
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
· Required to stand, sit, squat, bend and twist, from time to time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.