Flying Embers was founded in Ojai, California by a team of entrepreneurs, winemakers, musicians and surfers driven to create the best tasting, highest quality and most innovative organic alcohol drinks in the world. Flying Embers got its name when they banded together during the Thomas Fires to protect everything they had been working to build. The experience gave them the name and their drive towards a purpose beyond the brews. They established the Embers Foundation to support firefighters and first responders with 1% of all sales going directly towards Rewild, Respond and Recover efforts. We take intense pride in pushing the limits of innovation in our brewing and in building our biz. Today, Flying Embers is a national brand with strong local roots in Ventura, California.
Our team is currently looking for a skilled and motivated Maintenance Manager in the Ventura, CA area. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a role within a fast-paced environment. The position will be based out of our Ventura, CA headquarters.
Who We Are:
Flying Embers is an innovative fermented beverage company. We specialize in USDA Organic hard kombucha, canned cocktails, and hard seltzers. Our beverages are a better-for-you option, built for the modern drinker. The brand was launched during the 2017 Thomas Fires. This inspired our name and our values. Today, Flying Embers donates a portion of all sales to firefighters, first responders, and the communities that they serve through their nonprofit organization, the Embers Foundation.
Under general direction, the Manager of Engineering & Maintenance is responsible for oversight and administration of department staff that routinely performs/addresses the following: mechanical and electrical corrective, preventative, and project maintenance and upgrades within the brewery facility and surrounding campus. The role provides engineering support to the Operations team. Additionally, this position oversees program management duties within the department, such as calibration, pest control, and waste management, etc. that support the company’s Food Safety Management System.
Additional responsibilities are managing a critical department focused on machine and process readiness and avoidance of non-productive time and capital project management, from design and budgets to installation and commissioning; and performing other duties as assigned and/or required.
The above noted duties are not intended to describe every task that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As the nature of business demands change, so too may the duties of this position.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering from an ABET accredited university. Master’s Degree in engineering a plus; AND
2. At least fifteen (15) years of experience working with automated process equipment in the beverage manufacturing industry, preferably beer or other carbonated beverages.
3. At least three (3) years working in a supervisory and/or manager’s role in the beverage manufacturing industry.
4. Demonstrated history of working in engineering functions in the beverage manufacturing industry with increasing scope and scale.
5. Demonstrated history of engineering, procurement, installation, start-up and commissioning of projects in excess of at least $1MM.
The following requirements are conditions of employment. Applicants must have the ability and willingness to meet these requirements at the time of employment application filing and maintain these requirements throughout employment.
· Ability to commute to the Ventura Headquarters daily
· Adapt to changes in brewing, packaging and production schedules and work various schedules, which may also include swing or night shifts, weekends, holidays, and/or overtime as operations dictate.
· Safely work around and communicate in a hot, cold, wet, damp and loud production environment for extended periods of time
· Safely handle and work around chemicals, gasses and hot liquids
· Work around moving machinery and mechanical devices.
· Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and policies throughout the brewery.
· Work in high places and confined spaces
· Continuously lift to shoulder height and carry up to 55 lbs. with or without assistive devices and push or pull up to 200 lbs.
· While unassisted: bend, sit, kneel and squat, balance, twist and turn, reach over one’s shoulders, walk and stand continuously for extended periods of time over uneven surfaces; walk up and down stairs: ascend and descend ladders.
· Maintain punctuality and predictable attendance and eagerness to manage time and resources, get the job done safely and correctly, support coworkers and develop professionally.
· Comprehensive health and wellness coverage
· Flexible working environment
· Flexible Spending Account Benefits
· Generous and flexible vacation policy
· Pet Insurance for your furry kids
· Free personal development therapy (EAP)
· Free Flying Embers beverages
· Company branded swag.
· Brand partnership discounts with other local purpose driven companies
· Happy hours, team building, company-sponsored events and festivals
· Casual/Creative Office Environment
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
· Required to stand, sit, squat, bend and twist, from time to time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.