Flying Embers is a company that was founded in Ojai, California by a team of entrepreneurs, winemakers, musicians and surfers driven to create the best tasting, highest quality and most innovative organic alcohol drinks in the world. Flying Embers got its name when they banded together during the Thomas Fires to protect everything they had been working to build. The experience gave them the name and their drive towards a purpose beyond the brews. They established the Embers Foundation to support firefighters and first responders with 1% of all sales going directly towards Rewild, Respond and Recover efforts. We take intense pride in pushing the limits of innovation in our brewing and in building our biz. Today, Flying Embers is a national brand with strong local roots in Ventura, California.
Our team is currently looking for a Quality Assurance Technician for the Ventura, CA brewery. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a new adventure with a rapidly expanding team.
As the Quality Assurance Technician, you will be responsible for wet chemistry and other methodologies of in-process and finished product. You will demonstrate strong analytical skills, be highly collaborative, consistently proactive, engaged, and persistent in finding solutions and new ideas to achieve Flying Ember’s company objectives. This position's initial focus will be on quality testing to support beverages produced by Flying Embers. Duties will include performing analytical testing as required for finished and in process products, maintaining specifications and testing protocols, supporting facility qualification, and performing product release testing.
The Quality Assurance Technician will perform quality tests required, maintain analytical data, and follow Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and OSHA regulations. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Performs Wet Chemistry and other methodologies, as needed
- Coordinates testing with third party laboratories
- Records test results and maintains raw data and accurate laboratory records
- Performs validation/qualification of analytical methods, including training on new methodology, setup of new equipment, generation of method standard operating procedures (SOPs), and execution of validation/qualification protocols.
- Initiates Out of Specification (OOS) and deviation investigations as needed to address non-conformances in the lab.
- May supervise junior analysts and quality technicians.
- Maintains laboratory equipment including annual calibration.
- Complete verification of equipment and instruments in the lab.
- Accountable for the accuracy of results reported.
- Orders supplies and reagents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Daily sterile sample collections
- Microbiology testing at all stages of production
- Analytical quality testing including ELISA, HPLC, ICP-MS, and/or LC-MS
- Microbiological quality testing including sterility, viability, and/or identification testing
- Method validation skills and ability to execute methods/procedures and operate equipment
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate data found through complex testing processes
- Detail orientation and ability to follow specific testing protocols and adhere to rigid safety standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to generate reports and deliver findings
- Ability to prioritize testing workload and multitask efficiently
- Comprehensive health and wellness coverage
- Flexible working environment
- Flexible Spending Account/Commuter Benefits
- Generous and flexible vacation policy
- Pet Insurance for your furry kids
- Free personal development therapy (EAP)
- Free Flying Embers!!!
- Company branded swag
- Brand partnership discounts with other local purpose driven companies
- Happy hours, team-building, company-sponsored events and festivals
- Casual/Creative Office Environment
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Full mobility and physical capability to work in a brewery environment
- Occasionally required to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and climb
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell
- Manual manipulation of small parts and all equipment necessary to the job
- Lifting up to 55 pounds to shoulder height as needed
- Working in often hot/wet/cold/humid conditions
- Ability to walk up and down stairs throughout shift
- Regularly exposed to damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery.
- Must have the physical and mental strength and endurance to be able to perform duties, in at times extreme environments, as well as the ability to handle stressors of the position
- Must be 21 years of age
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.