Flying Embers is a company that was founded in Ojai, California by a team of entrepreneurs, winemakers, musicians and surfers driven to create the best tasting, highest quality and most innovative organic alcohol drinks in the world. Flying Embers got its name when they banded together during the Thomas Fires to protect everything they had been working to build. The experience gave them the name and their drive towards a purpose beyond the brews. They established the Embers Foundation to support firefighters and first responders with 1% of all sales going directly towards Rewild, Respond and Recover efforts. We take intense pride in pushing the limits of innovation in our brewing and in building our biz. Today, Flying Embers is a national brand with strong local roots in Ventura, California.
Our team is currently looking for a Sr. Quality Assurance Specialist for the Ventura, CA brewery. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking for a new adventure with a rapidly expanding team.
Under direct and indirect supervision, this mid-level position is responsible through strict attention to detail for the daily testing of products, recording and reporting results; reporting safety concerns up the chain of command; and assisting in the daily monitoring and management of fermentation and brewing cellars to ensure quality and consistency.
The position is located our Ventura, CA headquarters.
- Generates, compiles, and enters data into lab job aids and reports – performs data analysis and statistical inference as needed, when directed
- Monitors fermentation
- Takes yeast concentration cell counts
- Manages yeast propagation
- Samples of tanks, vessels, bottles and kegs for analytics and microbiological testing
- Performs microscopy evaluation
- Tests tanks and packaged product for dissolved oxygen, carbonation, and fill height, when applicable
- Manages temperature and pressure of brewing tanks
- Ensures laboratory equipment is properly maintained and calibrated
- Maintains an organized and sanitary laboratory
- Performing various quality control improvement projects
- Performs other related duties as assigned and/or required
Your Skills & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or Food Science program or the equivalent from an accredited four (4) year College or University
- At least three years of relevant experience in a post-graduate laboratory setting
- Comprehensive health and wellness coverage
- Flexible working environment
- Flexible Spending Account/Commuter Benefits
- Generous and flexible vacation policy
- Pet Insurance for your furry kids
- Free personal development therapy (EAP)
- Free Flying Embers!!!
- Company branded swag
- Brand partnership discounts with other local purpose driven companies
- Happy hours, team-building, company-sponsored events and festivals
- Casual/Creative Office Environment
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Full mobility and physical capability to work in a brewery environment
- Occasionally required to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and climb
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell
- Manual manipulation of small parts and all equipment necessary to the job
- Lifting up to 55 pounds to shoulder height as needed
- Working in often hot/wet/cold/humid conditions
- Ability to walk up and down stairs throughout shift
- Regularly exposed to damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery.
- Must have the physical and mental strength and endurance to be able to perform duties, in at times extreme environments, as well as the ability to handle stressors of the position
- Must be 21 years of age
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.